Adding tasks via Shortcuts

Adding tasks to GoodTask via Shortcuts doesn’t convey all the information I include.

I use the GoodTask “Add New Task” action that appears in the Shortcuts app. I have the fields set up to “Ask Each Time.” Every time I run it, I am able to add a title and assign it to a list. I also fill in due date and alert time. But when I go into both the iOS Reminders and GoodTask, the task appears in the list to which it is assigned, but no due dates, alerts, etc., are assigned.

Any suggestions?

Hi @Econwriter, thanks for the feedback.

I've just checked and it's working well. When you type in due date and alerts, do you see the date that shortcut app calculates at the bottom of your typings?

Typing it in works. The problem came in when I try to add via Siri triggering of the shortcut. However, I think I solved my problem: I was trying to make “start date” do what “due date” is supposed to do.

One idiosyncrasy I am noticing, however: If in that shortcut action I type in a due date for a specific day, but I do not want an alert time (leaving that blank, for instance, in a way that the native iOS Reminders app would understand) the shortcut automatically assigns an alert time of noon on the due date. Is there a way to change that behavior? When I enter that information in GoodTask itself, it functions the way it should (i.e., does not assign a time unless I ask it to). This is a limitation of Shortcuts actions, perhaps?

I'm not quite getting what you mean. If you set due date only on the shortcut, alert normally shouldn't be added. Is it getting added automatically without any value?

Sorry for the confusion. I am probably using terms less precisely than I should be.

Say, for instance, I want to have a task appear on tomorrow but I do not want an alert or a specific due time. Typing in “tomorrow” in the shortcut action but without any time of day, it automatically populates “12:00pm” (not an alert, just a due time) once I proceed to the next step. Otherwise, it tells me it’s an “incomplete date.”

Contrast that with entering a task in the native Reminders app (or within GoodTask itself). When I specify a due date of tomorrow, it does not assign a due time, just a date.

Thanks for detail explanation. It seems like that's how shortcuts work. :disappointed_relieved:

You can type in 12am to make it midnight which will be shown on GoodTask without time. But it'll show time on Reminders app.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to help me understand it all. I really like GoodTask. It is my preferred way of interacting with the native iOS reminders functionality. Thanks again!

1 Like