WWDC has started and new things have been introduced with lots of excitement. Reminders has got some changes and I'd like to explain current status and how GoodTask will go.
New features (Flag, Attachments, URL, Subtasks etc.) in iOS 13 Reminders app is not on EventKit's API
- EventKit is what GoodTask uses to fetch the data and basically nothing has been changed on iOS 13. I'm not sure this will change during the beta period but I've sent a feedback and will wait for their answers. (FB6116122) You may send some too if possible on Feedback Assistant app that's included in the beta. It'll be very helpful
Database getting Upgraded will not sync with previous versions of iOS/macOS.
- You can select to upgrade the database on new Reminders app.
- If you upgrade the database, it seems like not upgraded databases sync well between themselves and the upgraded ones sync by themselves. Downside will be when you upgrade the database, the one that's not upgraded will go away as new OS gets released (which means changes you make in previous versions will go away).
- If you don't upgrade the database, data will sync between different iOS versions but you'll not be able to try the new Reminders app's added features.
Below are the bugs you'll face on iOS 13 and macOS Catalina.
Changes (Completion/Add/Edit on current device or other devices) are not notified immediately to the app
- Output : List does not refresh. Count numbers does not refresh
- Workaround : You need to go out of list and go back to refresh the list
: This needs to be fixed by Apple on next beta builds. Feedback has been sent. (FB6116034)
Scheduled list may not work correctly when using Start dates
- Output : Tasks may not show in the list
- Workaround : Turn off 'Settings - General - Use Start Date' or choose 'Due date' option in filtered list.
: This will be fixed soon on next bug fix update
Tasks made in new iOS 13 Reminders app showing different date on GoodTask
- Output : It may show today on new Reminders app but show yesterday on GoodTask
: This needs to be addressed by Apple. Feedback has been sent. (FB6116067)
List order could get messed up with database upgrades
- Output : Reminders lists will go to the bottom of the list. This is due to reset and reconnection to the Reminders database.
GoodTask is based on Reminders database so it's pretty dependent to the Reminders itself. Reminders has got App Links that kept the feature by itself previously but with this beta version, it seems like it's getting a lot more. I know that people using GoodTask doesn't run Reminders regularly but I'm sad to see the features are kept by Reminders app only.
I hope they eventually open it up but if they don't, it's just unfortunate and GoodTask will have no power to add things introduced with the new Reminders app.
There are still lots of other things to be added to GoodTask though.
Well, that's all I can say for now. I'll see you soon with the updates. Thanks!