Duplicate calendar and Reminders that don't delete, etc

I am having 4 new problems with the app on my Apple Watch. I pretty much only use the Apple Watch App with the 3 tasks/calendar event complication.

1. For some unknown reason I am getting duplicate calendar events. They are not duplicated in the iPhone App

2. I have a tasks that I can't get rid of. They have a hollow circle next to them and a select this on the watch which fills in the circle. Sometimes they disappear only to come back again. Sometimes the circle fills in but they don't disappear at all. These tasks are not on my iPhone.

3. Sometimes undated tasks get a date assigned. I set up a task to "Check XXX"...no date was given. For some reason on the complication "Check XXX" has the 17th next to it but the calendar event right below it, which should read "Dinner out 17th" does not have the date next to it (it is correctly listed in the iPhone app as the 17th).

4)This next issue is in the app on the iPhone...when I try to edit which calendars I want to show (Edit List>Calendars>Specific>choose the ones I want)...the calendar event I want does not show up anymore. So, I assume I have not included the right calendar. To test this I manually select all calendars and the event still doesn't show up. Only when I choose ALL does the event show up (which I assume is the same as manually selecting all the calendars one by one).

All of a sudden the app is very quirky. I have closed the app on the watch to no avail.
Not sure what else to do. This app is indispensable on my watch...when it works correctly. Just an FYI, this is what I want the app to do on my watch:

Show the next 3 undated tasks, dated tasks and calendar events in that order.

Thanks!

UPDATE: OK I got the duplicate events and the completed reminders to go away by doing the following:

Go to iCloud and turn off sync for GoodTask & Reminders
Go to your Exchange Account on the iPhone Setting and Turn off Reminders
Go to your Exchange Account on the iPhone Setting and Turn Reminders back on
Go to iCloud and turn on sync for GoodTask & Reminders

Only two problems still remains...Some calendar events in the iPhone don't show up on the watch (All Calendars is selected) and #4 above.

UPDATE #2 . Sorry, the duplicate events remains. In fact, now it is worse. Every time I try the trick above, it duplicates the next calendar event. Right now I have 4 duplicates for the same event. This is really #$@#ing me off!

Thanks for any help you can give to this rant!

Hi @rainman1962, thanks for using GoodTask.

First, please check default Calendars app and Reminders app on Apple Watch to see if it's showing there properly.

Next update v5.0 will come soon which will make the app more reliable.

Thanks!

The watch app was really getting messed up (5 duplicate calendar events and no Reminders) so I deleted everything to start over.

After reinstalling the app, in the iPhone app, for the next 3 calendar events (using an Exchange calendar) the watch lists the first event correctly but the next 2 events are duplicated 4 x. I have one Reminder/task and it does NOT show up in GoodTask at all (It IS in the Reminder app on the iPhone and the watch).

Here is how I am set up:

Smart List called Jeff
Scheduled filter “within 12 weeks”; count=3
Undated filter set to “and”
Sort options=Due Date
Order=Undated, Due Date, Calendar Events
Sorts=Separate Calendar Events
Settings>Favorites=Jeff List view
Settings>Apple Watch>Order=App

So, 3 questions remain:

1. Why no tasks/reminders? They should show up before calendar events.
  2. Why duplicate events?
  3. Why deleting the app from my iPhone and reinstalling it I still have the same duplicates.

Do I have to wait until 5 to fix this? This app has worked great until (not sure when it started to do this)…

Thanks for detail explanation.

Please try restarting the watch app by doing the followings.

1. Inside GoodTask app, long press button below crown.
  2. When turning off page shows, long press crown.
  3. Re-open GoodTask.

Normally it should show same tasks as iPhone on same list/view.

Does events show properly on Calendars app?

Thanks!

I have tried restarting the app but duplicates continue and there are no Reminders/Tasks (on the watch or iPhone GoodTask apps; however, they are present in the native iPhone Reminders app).

Yes, the events show properly on the Calendar app as well as GoodTask app on the phone, but GoodTask on the watch shows 2, 3, 4 or sometimes 5 of the same event.

I assume this could be some issue on the watch. Please check Calendars/Reminders app on watch.

What is there to check? Reminders work fine on the watch. It is GoodTask that doesn't show them.

Is there a way to cleanly delete and re-install this app? I tried to delete everything once before but when I re-installed it the same duplicates were still there.

I have been using this app for over a year now and all of sudden it is essentially unusable. Something changed, probably some update either with GoodTask or the watch OS. However, I repeat...the events and reminders are all present and working fine for both Apple devices. It is GoodTask that is now duplicating events and not even listing reminders at all.

Hi @rainman1962, I'm sorry about your current situation and I fully understand the frustration.

There has been couple of feedback about duplicates on Apple Watch previously and both were due to watchOS 6 or Outlook issues so I thought you would be the same case too.

This is not common issue and I can't reproduce it on my side. All I can assume is based on the words you share so I hope you understand the difficulties I'm facing.

I recommend you to open Watch app on iPhone and go into GoodTask. You can uninstall and re-install watch app on that page. After that, try opening the app on Apple Watch.

Things that you can check is 1. List that shows on Apple Watch and 2. Number shown at the bottom of iPhone app's Settings - Apple Watch (in case you've set GoodTask complications).

1. List should be same with 'Favorites' on your iPhone and 2. Number should not be 0.

Hope it gets back to working state again.

Thanks!

My list called "Jeff" shows "0". However, there are 8 calendar events for December in the "Jeff" list and 2 tasks in the "Reminders" list.

Shouldn't the reminders be included on the smart list "Jeff"?

Thanks

Jeff

I assume this is another question?

Count that shows on initial 'Lists' page only includes tasks. Calendar events are not added to the count number.

Please send me details with screenshots. (You can send it to contact@hahaint.com )

Thanks!

Actually, no it was a response to your previous email.

However, I may have solved the problem!! It seems there were 2 separate problems:

1. Duplicate calendar events
  2. Reminders/Tasks were not appearing.

This is what I did...not sure if all steps are necessary...but so far it is working great:

1. Delete Exchange account on iPhone 11
  2. Log out of iCloud account
  3. (Tried restarting both iPhone and Apple watch but that didn't help)
  4. Unpair apple watch
  5. Restore apple watch from backup
  6. Re-Pair watch and phone
  7. Deleted any extra calendars I did not need/want
  8. Logged back into iCloud
  9. Reloaded GoodTask (and all the other apps that were deleted when the watch was unpaired).
  10. Set up GoodTask as mentioned in my second post above.
  11. Tested the List by adding a calendar event and a task. Both showed up on the watch with no duplicates
  12. Restored my Exchange account and all calendar items appeared WITH NO DUPLICATES!!!

Now only one small problem. I do not want US Holidays to show up. However, when I Edit List>Calendars>and choose only "Calendar" NO calendar events show up (Holidays, Exchange or events added directly to my iPhone). This is not a deal breaker but it does take up space on the Apple Watch since I only have room for 3 events/tasks.

Good to hear that it's working now. :slight_smile:

About calendars, I assume you mean that calendars does not appear at all if you only select some specific calendars on a smart list. I'll take a look.

Thanks!

That is correct.

Thanks for checking!