Frequent beach ball forever in High Sierra (10.13.6)

On my old iMac (2011) running 10.13.6 (can't run anything newer) with the last few versions of GoodTask (can't say when exactly this started, but it seems like it's getting worse). I'll switch to the app, and either get a beach ball immediately or just after I try to click or type something. Activity monitor shows 99-100% CPU and "(Not Responding)". I've tried letting it stay like this for 20-30 minutes with no change. After I force quit, a restart almost always goes straight to the same place and after another force quite I'll get a dialog that says "The last time you opened GoodTask, it was force quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" Once I say "Don't reopen" to that it works fine for a while.

I understand that this is an old config that probably doesn't get tested much if at all. I'm happy to collect diagnostics when it's stuck if that would help (let me know which things to do). So far I can't cause this to happen but it's happening often enough that I can safely say I'd be able to get something within a few days. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi @boxspring, thanks for the feedback.

First, try re-installing the app after cleaning preferences.

1. Close the app.

2. Delete preferences file

• Open Finder

• On top menu, choose 'Go > Go to folder..'

• Copy below and move to the folder
    ~/Library/Containers/com.hahainteractive.GoodTask3Mac/Data/Library/Preferences

• Delete com.hahainteractive.GoodTask3Mac.plist

• On top menu, choose 'Go > Go to folder..'

• Copy below and move to the folder
    ~/Library/Group Containers/

• Delete U57829932E.group.hahainteractive.goodtask3

1. Reboot the device

If the issue persists, send me a log to contact@hahaint.com when beachball spins. Below is how to do it.

• Open 'Activity Monitor' (You can open it inside 'Applications-Utilities-Activity Monitor' or use Spotlight Search(CMD-Space) and type Activity Monitor)
  • Choose 'GoodTask' on the list
  • Click 'Settings' on top row of buttons (3rd) and choose 'Sample Process'
  • Wait awhile until it's made
  • Click Save at the top right and then save the file

Thanks!