Importing font fails

I just updated to 6.5 and tried installing a font by opening it with GoodTask from the share menu. GoodTask asks if I want to install the font, but then promptly displays an alert saying that the import failed.

It is an otf font that I have previously installed as part of a system profile, and it is a available in apps that support the system font chooser. I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the great update!

Hi @mbamitsu, thanks for the feedback.

This could be from multiple reasons. One may be font file which is not supported properly on device. Another is that font may be already installed.

If the font is already installed to the system, it may not be available on the app to use. Or you may already see it inside font picker at the bottom inside theme editing page.

(Edited: I'll check on next update to see if already installed font can be shown inside the app)

Thanks!

Thanks for the help.

The problem did turn out to be that it was installed as part of a system profile. I uninstalled the profile, and it worked to install the file in GoodTask. I was also able to reinstall the profile afterward so that the fonts were available in other compatible apps. I haven’t seen any font issues in GoodTask after that.

Would it be possible to make GoodTask use the system font chooser that supports any font installed on the system?

I’ll keep it on the list to consider. :wink:

1 Like

Hi again.

I noticed that when using one of the fonts included with GoodTask, some of the UI elements have a bold font weight.

However, when using an imported font, all of the UI elements use the same font weight, because the imported font file only contains one weight/style.

Another advantage of using the system font chooser in GoodTask might be that it might then be able to support using additional font weights in the UI when using a custom font, because the system chooser seems to know about font families. (Though I’m not sure, I’m just basing this on how other apps seem to work.)

For example, I’ve installed all of the files for the different weights and styles of a certain font (like Libertinus Sans) to the system using an app like Fontcase that creates a configuration profile. Then, in apps that support the system font chooser (like Drafts), I can choose the font family by name (like Libertinus Sans) instead of individual font files (like LibertinusSans-Regular), and the apps know how to handle bold, italic, etc.

Thanks again for all your work on the app!

Thanks for the feedback. Things you've mentioned could be something that can be improved in the future. I'll keep it on the list to consider. Thanks!

1 Like