iOS Badge Count is Off and Does Not Update in Background

I am running GT on both macOS and iOS.

The badge counts were perfectly on macOS. The badge counts do not work on iOS in that a) they do not update in teh background and b) even after opening GT, the badge counts are still correct.

Would be great to get this fixed.

Thanks and love the app,

Hi @Joel, thanks for the feedback.

Normally the app icon badge should work well. Also if you have 'Background app refresh' turned on and do not force quit the app (swipe up on app switcher), the badge should get updated in the background.

It depends on iOS and conditions but normally it should work pretty fast.

If you have issues, please send me more details including screenshots or screen recordings to contact@hahaint.com Thanks!

@GoodTask, I appreciate teh fast response.

I do generally force quit the app when not using it but will test leaving the app open (i.e., not force quitting it) and see what happens. I will share the results.

Thanks,

I confirm that leaving the application open in iOS does result in the badge properly updating.

The one follow up I have is why does Good Task have to remain open for the badge to properly update when other apps such as Apple Mail, Messages, What'sApp, etc. do not need to be left open. Would be great were there a way for Good Task's badge to update similar to the above listed apps.

The reason why I am interested is that most of the time I use Good Task on my MacBook but when travelling / out I generally only have my iPhone / Apple Watch with me and it would be great were Good Task not need to be opened as I generally do not have it open.

Comments / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Joel, this is limitation due to how iOS works. Apps that use network such as messaging apps would send the notification to update the badge but GoodTask gets updated by itself without using any servers so it needs to be kept alive. Being in the app switcher doesn't mean that it's always running in the background. It only runs when needed and it's pretty tight. AFAIK, keeping the app in the app switcher is better in overall performance. Also it doesn't use more battery if you're opening the app frequently. Opening it from clean state will need more power. Hope it helped. Thanks!

Appreciated and makes sense.

Thank you!