Markdown Support for notes & subtasks?

Please consider whether markdown could soon be an option. The notes are getting more and more cluttered and it is almost impossible to work with more than one URL. Markdown would bring order to the notes field quickly and without much distraction. Thank you. Otto

4 Likes

Adding my voice! This would be AWESOME!

1 Like

I really think it would make the app more attractive to many users who either have markdown render in their task manager (Todoist, Ticktick) and non rendered markdown like in Things3. Heck, I’d even be willing to pay for the app again because it would be so valuable to me.

2 Likes

Markdown is now supported on Notes field, list memo and goals page with version 7.7. Check below post for details. Thanks!

https://medium.com/hilab-blog/markdown-notes-on-goodtask-7-7-369211276c70

5 Likes

So excited for this - Thank you!!

1 Like

Brilliant. Just another reason why I love GoodTask so much. Thoughtful development and great power features, all supported by an amazing developer. Thanks for listening to your users and for bringing markdown formatting to your wonderful app.

I have just one observation. Is it possible to retain empty lines? I know markdown is agnostic to empty lines and so perhaps the answer is no. But it would be great to be able to allow the notes to breathe a little. It can look a little cramped. Especially after lists etc. I also include tags in notes field and they look odd not separated by a line.

On task display, there is the line break option, of course. Maybe this could be added to task detail page also?

Many thanks

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback. I’m aware that markdown doesn’t fully support multiple line breaks like plain text editor. I’ve looked into it to see if it can be improved but couldn’t.

Currently I recommend using \ or # to make additional space if needed.

I’ll try to improve tags on later updates.

Thanks!

Yes. Markdown doesn’t handle blank lines well unless a custom text editor approach is implemented. But it’s not that important to me. I’ve been using > for quotes to add spacing. It works well and won’t confuse me with tags or heading syntaxes.

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

That is absolutely amazing. Good work - done.

Is it me or does markdown not appear when viewing a task’s notes in a list? It's only visible when viewing the task full screen?

Separately it would be great to support it in subtasks as well.

Hi @larbob, thanks for the feedback. It's only visible in Task detail panel. Thanks!

I am thrilled to have this added capability / feature. Much thanks.

Two questions:

i) I am trying to get some text to appear in BOLD RED and cannot get it work. What is the correct syntax noting I tried English and it did not work.

ii) Why do I need to make the enter the mark up "symbols" exit the note and then return to the note to see he formatting take effect? Is there a way to immediately see the formatting take effect without having to go out then back in?

Thank you.

Hi @Joel, thanks for the feedback.

i) Html specs don't work and there is no way to change colors on current form. You can use most of other basic syntax.

ii) Currently the editor renders the text after you're done editing.

I'll keep your feedback. Thanks!

Appreciate the response, two quick follow ups:

1. Are you planning to add colour capability?

2. By done editing do you mean exiting the note and re-entering the note as this is the only way that it works for me?

Thank you.

Hi @Joel,

1. Not at the moment.
  2. If you exit the editing mode (Editing mode: showing keyboard on iOS, Exit: swipe down keyboard or move focus to other field), it should show the rendered output.

Thanks!

Appreciate the clarification.

One follow up, in macOS is there a way to exit editing mode other that exiting the note and then entering the note to see the rendered output?

Thank you.

It’s the same on Mac. If your cursor is on the text of notes field, plain text will show. When you move on to other field or just exit, it’ll be rendered. Thanks!

Appreciate teh answer.

Would be great were there not a need to move to a different field (i.e., outside of the notes section) or exit / enter for the formatting to be rendered.

I know not part of the spec you've adopted but one thing I'd really like is strikethrough support. Some extended markdown do it with ~~this is striked through~~