Open an App from Task?

Can I open an app similarly to the way I can include a URL to a webpage or a phone number and open it from the task?

Example: say I have a task to check the weather the day before an outdoor event. Can I embed a link or something to open the Weather app?

Hi @jedwards, thanks for the feedback.

There is a feature called URL Scheme which opens other apps. But there are limitations of using this on other apps too. So you need to 1. check if the app you want to open supports URL scheme or not, and 2. see if it works on GoodTask. (If not, let me know details)

Thanks!

Thank you. You’ve been helpful.

I did find info on URL Schemes but didn’t see how it applied nor a clear example (for opening apps). I’ll look at this more but if you could illustrate with an example I’d appreciate it.

URL scheme is a link that can be opened like web links from Safari and other apps. For example, to open GoodTask, you can type goodtask3:// in Safari and it'll open the app.

Thanks!

It's remarkable how much this simple answer helped. Thanks. I think I'm well on my way.

@jedwards If the app is having URL scheme to open you can use it directly in notes section of task in GoodTask to open that app.

If that app doesn't support URL sceheme, then also you can open any app by creating a link of shortcut app and adding it to GoodTask

Steps to follow:

1. Open shortcut app in your phone
  2. Create new shortcut
  3. Press Add Action and in search for app type Open app
  4. Click App link and select the app you want to open
  5. Save the shortcut and give it a name
  6. In GoodTask create a task and in the note section type the below

shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=[your shortcut name of that app]

Thats it, whenever you need to open a task just swipe and it will automatically open that app.

Like this I am opening most of my apps using good task :slight_smile:

Hopes this helps.

1 Like

This is brilliant @Balaji. I have this running now. As it happens the app I wanted to run doesn’t have a URL Scheme so the shortcut URL Scheme was exactly what I needed, and it works like a champion!

Thanks again.
JD