Recurring task or repeating task

Hi, I know this has been asked before but I find it so strange that it’s not an option and I want to check I haven’t missed the integration:

Is it possible to make a task transfer to the next day if it wasn’t completed?

ie on Monday I completed 9/10 tasks....on Tuesday the 1 task I didn’t complete is now lost in my overdues (I know I’m a bad person). Why can’t it just come over automatically?
Am I really alone in wanting this?

Thank you for all of the other great features

Thanks for the feedback.

GoodTask tries to step away from automatically editing the data since it could bring lots of confusion.

Currently, I suggest using Today page's procedure to adjust data or just simply use Quick Action to move tasks to today (which I do very frequently and I also know I'm a bad person. :sweat_smile:)

There is a plan to improve Today page in later updates.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Sorry to go on about this but I’m still struggling to get my head around GoodTask being so powerful but not doing what I think it should. Therefore I’m thinking I’m doing something wrong and explaining it to you incorrectly. Please allow me another chance to double check:

If I want the bins out every week and I select repeat-every week in task creation setting, GoodTask will only repeat that task if I complete it? That’s what happens at the moment for me, if I don’t click it then it becomes overdue and I won’t get reminded next week and therefore I’ll probably forget to put the bins out.

So this leads me to ask what the feature “repeat after completion” in the advanced section is? It seems that’s always on anyway.

I’m sorry if it seems like I’m wasting time asking again but it’s such a critical feature I can only assume I’m missing something. Surely any one on daily meds would find this essential?

Thanks as always for all the other things you do and the great app.

It's ok.

1. Yes, it will not alert you again if the task is not completed.

2. Repeat after completion is an option that will make next task upon completion date when you complete a task. For example, normally if you have repeat every week task which is due Jan 5th, if you complete it today, it'll make next task on Jan 12th. If you have 'Repeat after completion' option checked, next one will be made next week from today (Jan 18th).

3. If you need an alert every week regardless of completing it or not, using recurring calendar event could be better.

Thanks!

Thank you for clarifying (again :pensive:).

I do hope it could be considered in the future. But you know what is best and I love the app regardless of having one workaround. The calendar thing is ok but when I wake up in the morning and wonder if I took the meds or not, I have no way of checking....obviously if I forget the bins I will know cos the bin will still be full :rofl::joy:

Take care,
Mike

1 Like

Old post, but thought it was worth responding to.

If it's any consolation @Themikeyd, I personally make a distinction between todo items, and calendar events.

For me, calendar events are time sensitive, meaning they must be done at that time.

Todo items are more flexible, meaning while I might want to do them at a particular time, if they don't get done they can be moved.

You might want to consider putting tasks such as taking out the trash, which occur, and reoccur regardless of whether you do them or not, on a separate "chores" calendar (or similar).

And if you really want to be nagged about making sure something is done, there's a great app on iOS called "Due", which allows you to set multiple, repeating, inconsolable(!) ALERTS that literally won't stop until you mark the task as done (might be overkill for taking to bin to the curb, but would be very effective for something such as medications, picking up the kids, etc.)

I find that I use the repeat after completion feature in GoodTask mostly for chores around the house that are flexible.

For example, I know that I need to mow the lawn every two weeks or so, but I also know that it's a flexible due date. If I do it a few days early, or late, the grass doesn't care.

But, I still want to mow it again in two weeks time, even if I mowed it late (say it was three weeks instead of two).

So with repeat after completion on, the "Mow the Yard" task will show it's overdue by a week, and when I complete it, the task will be reset to reoccur from two weeks time on when I mark it complete.

Without repeat after completion, the task would be set for one week later, which is two weeks from the original due date.

It's nuanced, for sure, but it prevents reoccurring tasks from just piling up, like if you go on vacation and ignore your reminders for two weeks, and then when you come back it's telling you that you need to take out the garage twice, take the dog for a walk fourteen times, etc.

Clear as mud, eh?

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and for the app recommendation. I’ll check it out now. You have clarified the concept for me so I can now use the features in a more useful way,

Take care.