Repeat after Completion - Changing Behavior

I saw the following change listed in the TestFlight notes for the latest beta version of GoodTask:

When task with 'Repeat after completion' is completed/skipped and its due date is in the future, it'll calculate on to the next target date rather than calculating from today

Could you please either reconsider making that change or at least make it a preference? I can understand why there would be some situations where that behavior might be desired. But for all the reminder where I have "Repeat after Completion" enabled, I really want the next reminder to be x period of time after the completion--even if I complete it early. That is because there are lots of things that need to be done a certain period of time after the last time it was done, regardless of whether the last completion was early. Here are some examples:

• Replace HVAC filter (Thus, for example, I have a reminder to replace HVAC filter every 6 months. If I replace it after 5 months, I would want the next reminder to be 6 months after that completion date, NOT 6 months after the original due date for replacing it--which would be 7 months after the early replacement date.)
  • Change oil in car
  • Haircuts for kids
  • Mowing the yard
  • Watering plants
  • Replacing contact lenses
  • Testing smoke alarms
  • Vacuuming the house
  • Etc.

Thanks for your consideration and for such an amazing task management tool! The busier my life gets, the more I love GoodTask!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Your suggestion makes perfect sense too. What do others think?

Actually I was thinking completely wrong about this while talking to other user. I’ll roll back to previous behavior on next build. Thanks!

1 Like

I agree with Taskmaster. Has to be from completion date.

2 Likes

users should have the choice!

1 Like

FYI, I made a mistake on this one. If you don’t have ‘Repeat after completion’ option turned on, it’ll behave as expected and go on to next date.

No need for another option. Thanks!