Sync - how long does it take?

I’m testing out good task currently in the 14 day window. I Downloaded the app on both my iPad and my iPhone. New tasks or tasks that I mark as done sync, but they don’t seem to sync very quickly. My iPhone says it synced about an hour ago. My iPad says it synced about seven hours ago. is there a way to get it to sync faster? An hour is probably OK, but seven hours would really mess me up if I enter a task in one place and expect it to show up in the other.

Thanks,
Janise

Hi, thanks for trying out. There are 2 types of sync in GoodTask. One is main tasks and lists which is handled by Reminders app’s database. Normally this should be done fairly quickly.

Other is preferences sync and you can check this inside Preferences - Sync on Mac and Settings - iCloud sync on iPhone. From version 5.4, you can check status for each file which is done through iCloud Drive’s settings folder. This should not take long either.

Thanks!

I’ve checked settings inside the apps on my iPad and iPhone and both are set to iCloud sync with everything checked. I checked device settings and iCloud is turned on for Reminders and for GoodTask. The only thing that seems to make items (new, deleted, checked off as completed) sync is to close GoodTask, open Reminders, then open GoodTask again (on each device). Once I do that, I can watch things sync when I open GoodTask. Is that what has to happen, that Reminders has to be running and you have to close and open GoodTask? That seems a bit cumbersome, so I wonder if I’m still missing something?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @ListMaker, thanks for the details.

It seems like sync for Reminders database might not be working well on your side. Normally it should be synced regardless of opening Reminders app.

It should be done whenever you make changes immediately on all of your devices.

Check by opening app on each side and see how it goes. If (Mac -> iPhone) is not working properly, you may try several things below.

• Try 'Refresh' inside GoodTask if it's not showing.
  • Try opening default Reminders app (especially on Mac) if data is not coming in. This sometimes triggers overall OS to catch up
  • Try restarting GoodTask.
  • Try turning off and on Reminders on default Settings app - Account (Your name on top) - iCloud. This could be done if you think issue is not getting resolved on all above options. After turning it on, go into Reminders app and wait awhile until the data comes in completely.

Thanks!

Thanks for responding so quickly.

First question: Where’s the refresh in the GoodTask App?

I opened Reminders on my Mac and there and on my GoodTask on my phone syncs pretty quickly.

My iPad still isn’t syncing, so now that I’ve isolated it to my iPad, I tried fully closing and opening GoodTask on my iPad and turning off and on Reminders on my iPad. My iPad is an older one and only runs iOS 12.4.5 (It can’t be upgraded anymore). Could that be the issue? Or maybe if I know how to refresh, that will fix the issue.

Thanks Again!

1 Like

I’d still like to know how to refresh GoodTask, but I might have solved the problem.

When I wrote about having an older iPad, I remembered hearing that 5G wi-fi doesn’t always work well with older devices, so I checked, and my iPad was on the 5G wi-fi. When I switched it to 2G, it started syncing. It still syncs better with Reminders open, but at least it’s syncing.

Please do let me know how to refresh the GoodTask app as that may still be beneficial.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Refresh can be done through tapping '3 dot' button on top right inside a list. On Mac, you can CMD-R or click icon on bottom left pane.

If you're using iOS 12, things can vary and it's a bit complicated. If you haven't upgraded iOS Reminders database on iOS 13 and Catalina, it will still sync. You may check related info on below posts.

https://forum.goodtaskapp.com/t/things-to-know-about-ios-13-and-macos-catalina

Thanks!

I have the same issue. Tasks are cleared onto GoodTask on iphone but it take a while to see them cleared onto ipad.
But the biggest issue for me is that GoodTask doesn’t sync correctly onto my Watch Series 4 (GoodTask is selected to work in the background though)
Very disappointing because I’d prefer to have one app for events and reminders together.
As a result, I’m back on the native apps...