Update start date for repeating tasks

Currently When you have a monthly repeating task with a due date for every 10th of the month and a start day 2 days earlier the next task (repeating) will still use the same start date and duration will change from 2 days to 33 for example

1 Like

Start dates does not work properly for repeating tasks. I don't recommend using it differently from due date on recurring tasks.

This is due to the machine that runs while making new tasks on recurring tasks. System runs that machine and behaves a bit differently on iOS and macOS.

Thanks!

1 Like

It's not crucial for me, but would be nice if it would work as I described. Setting alarm to earlier date seems fine as well for me to achieve what I need.

1 Like

Since Reminders doesn't take care of start date, it's a bit of a mess. Currently if you set it differently, start date will become same value with due date on iOS. On macOS, start date just stays on previous value. I've suggested Apple about changing behavior to the way like you've mentioned long ago. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can think of a few features that might help us work around how start dates work with recurring reminders:

1. A quick action for setting the start date. Such an action would enable us to fix start dates quickly. It would also be useful on its own.
  2. A quick action for setting the duration.
  3. An option for checking whether an alert has fired in smart lists. Then, if you use the workaround for start dates that uses alerts to indicate when a task is available, you could use a smart list to identify available tasks.

Text snippets for setting start date would be handy, too.

Thanks for your consideration!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep them on the list to consider. :slight_smile:

1 Like