Windows desktop version

When will Goodtask have a Windows Desktop version?

1 Like

Hi @slrter, thanks for the feedback. Currently there is no plan. :sob:

Need to make iOS and macOS version great first. :wink:

1 Like

I would love to have this. I can replicate in outlook the rules but the UI is sweet.

2 Likes

Hey @GoodTask - have these plans changed since your post?

Just wanted to add my perspective. I am an iPhone/iPad user - but I'm forced to use Windows laptop and desktop because of my work. This is fine - i actually don't mind windows. But I LOVE reminders on my phone and use it a lot. It would be absolutely amazing if you brought the app to windows as it would bridge the gap between thousands of other iPhone users that use windows PCs. Currently - the only way to access Reminders is via iCloud on Windows and it's VERY clunky. I think you would open the path to lots of people out there.

I'm in two minds about paying for GoodTask premium as I can't use the app on my computer currently and I'm in two minds about if it;s worth my paying just to have a better iPhone experience over just using the Reminders app.

I think you should seriously consider this - you'd get a lot of standard Reminders users porting to GoodTask - if not just to have proper access to their reminders on their windows PC which they currently cannot get (plus the added benefits of all the GoodTask additional features.)

Thanks

Hi @drigbye, thanks for the suggestion. Since the data in GoodTask itself is tied to Reminders app's data, it's tricky to expand the platform. A separate server that stores the data needs to be built and I'm not sure if this is what GoodTask users want. :sweat_smile:

@GoodTask understand - thanks for your response. I just think there is a massive opportunity for you guys to bring (a better version of ) Apple reminders to Windows machines. There are thousands of others like me with iPhones and Windows machines, who would pay to get this! I think it could be a big one for you. Either way you go, keep up the good work!

2 Likes

greetings and thank you for making a great app!

i use goodtasks on my ios device.
the device sychronizes ios reminders, calendars and contacts with a nextcloud server so goodtasks app manages those ios items and doesn't care about the sync backend.
i think such use case is actually noted somewhere in the docs, i just don't remember - it a long time ago.

anyway, i've also been using goodtasks for mac for some time on my hackintosh (dual-boot with windows).
unfortunately that hackintosh setup became almost unusable for me because of "reasons" (doesn't matter) and nowadays i mostly use windows.

my point is - i'm pretty sure that i'm not the only geeky goodtasks user, there are others having their own exocic setup. there are at least five of us only in this thread! :slight_smile:

of course there are other ways to manage nextcloud calendars and reminders on windows, but they are not as good as goodtasks :slight_smile:
i don't have much hope that my message will make much difference to your decision, but at least i want to let you know that there really is a demand for a windows app.

2 Likes

The number of users with iPhones / iPads and Windows PC is an order of magnitude more than the number of users with Macs. There's less than 20 million Macs sold worldwide every year, vs well over 200 million iPhones. What computer do you think the remaining 180 million yearly iPhone buyers have ? (and most of them probably do have a computer). This is a huge untapped market.

Reminders sync to PC is extremely limited, probably by design. Access via iCloud for web is a joke. A GoodTask client for Windows, utilizing iCloud sync to add features like attachments and the great multitude of features that GT has, could be a big success.

2 Likes

But Outlook tasks can be synced to Reminders. Perhaps I misunderstand the issue, but since the tasks are already synced between Windows and iOS, why can't GoodTask specific data also sync between Windows and iOS ?

GoodTask already syncs tags and subtasks with Outlook tasks as plaintext.
The Start date entered in GoodTask also syncs with Outlook. So does the Due date and alarm.

Really, the only GoodTask task-specific data I can think of that does not already sync with Outlook tasks is attachments. (The attachment directory will sync with Windows if the user is running iCloud for Windows, so I am sure there are ways for the program to "find" these attachments in Windows automatically, since the iCloud directory location is known, and task attachment directory name and location is known).

So we are not really talking about missing sync data, we're talking about creating a UI interface in Windows that mimics GoodTask on Mac or iOS, working with data already there.

Now, I can fully appreciate developer's reluctance to take on such a large project. On the other hand, I can bet that the number of GoodTask users that are using Windows PC with iPhone / iPad is probably larger than the number of users with Macs. So the market is certainly there.

Right now, much of GoodTask functionality can be replicated in Outlook using custom filters, conditional formatting, and text entry automation. But it's a bandaid solution, not as quick and elegant as using the dedicated app.

4 Likes